Posted on

Member Since: Feb 14, 2005

Hi all, first post.

I have a Zoom MRS 1266 and I write backing tracks. I have just finished off a long project only to find the key is not correct. How can I change the key of the whole song? (Transpose) I believe the MRS cant do it. Do I have to send the song by Midi to a PC? if so, what software would do the job and is it an easy process.

Any tips or help would be welcome.

I am not familiar with midi so please use simple words.

Thanks in advance.

[ Back to Top ]

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Since: May 10, 2002

Feb 14, 2005 08:54 am

Not sure Madams, but hello and welcome! anyway! Stay tuned, I'm sure other folks will come up with some help.

Again Welcome!

Ultra Magnus
Since: Nov 13, 2004

Feb 14, 2005 09:49 am

Welcome. I don't know the zoom, but if you recorded MIDI data (rather than audio) then you can connect the MIDI outputs from the zoom to the MIDI inputs of a PC and copy the tracks over, the MIDI can also act as a sync to keep all these running together. The MIDI program in the PC should have a transpose function. If the zoom has a disc drive then you can save the MIDI data to that and it may well load on a PC, some formats are surprisingly compatible.

If it's audio rather than MIDI data then you can use the MIDI to stay in sync and transfer the tracks as audio. It depends on how far you want to pitchshift, if it's a tone or a semi-tone you should be okay, but the further away you want to be from the original key the more the audio deteriorates, resulting in a wobbly sound. For the best results with pitchshifting audio give the processor the smallest amount to process, in other words, do it track by track rather than using the whole tune as the wobbliness will increase the more information it has to process. Short sounds for instance tend to pitchshift better than longer ones.

Hope this is some help, for the MIDI sync info i'd check your manual as it'll give a better step by step guide than is really possible to type here.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Since: Feb 14, 2005

Feb 15, 2005 08:23 am

Thanks for the imput

Anyone used...



put music Cd in PC
Transpose (among other things)

Cost 39$

If you have used a program that can do the jog I would be interested in the info. Would Cool Edit Pro do this?

Any help to Transpose a tune on Tape, CD, Mini Disc etc.


bace135 in the house tonight!
Since: Jan 28, 2003

Feb 15, 2005 11:49 am

If you have Cool Edit Pro, you can mess with the Time/Stretch effect and see if that will work for you.

Are the backing tracks you have written, recorded to the zoom (like guitar or something) or are they sequenced out in the zoom (sounds originate from zoom). More info on what you have (ie what exactly are you trying to transpose) would be helpful.

Since: Feb 14, 2005

Feb 16, 2005 07:10 am

The Zoom is a 10 track digital recording device.

I build the tracks using keyboard and guitars pluged into the Zoom and then usualy put them onto MiniDisc via the audio output. The recording is done in real time, i.e. I play the instuments.

The machine has connections for a PC but I have never used this.

The machine has drum and bass rythum section but I dont use these.

The tracks are stored on the machines hard drive so I guess that it should be possible to access this via the PC and make the changes. Problem is, I have no idea how to go about this or what software I need.

Is it a case of loading, say, Cool Edit Pro, connecting my Zoom and give it a try? Dont know if this software Tranposes though.

I am trying to transpose my track. I dont realy mind if this is done via a PC connected to the Zoom, from CD or any audio media. Just want to fix the dam thing.

Thanks for the help guys

bace135 in the house tonight!
Since: Jan 28, 2003

Feb 16, 2005 11:43 am

Well, if you have recorded audio, you cannot use midi. Just to make sure I understand, you want to take audio you have already recorded on you Zoom, and change the key of that audio.

If you can't do it on the Zoom, you would have to transfer to PC. So, you would need a way to transfer. Do you have the optional CD burner that comes with the Zoom. This would be one way to do it. Otherwise, you would need a soundcard with either S/PDIF ins or RCA ins. Also, if you use RCA ins, you will probably want to transfer for each track. Then you can use Cool Edit Pro, if you have that software. Other software I'm sure has similar features, but I'm not that familiar with other software, so couldn't tell you how to do it.

In all honesty, it would probably be more efficient and maybe easier just to re-record the parts in the key you want them.

Related Forum Topics:

If you would like to participate in the forum discussions, feel free to register for your free membership.