Hey new to the computer recording... read a few faqs... have a few question

Posted on

Member Since: Jul 04, 2004

Hey new to the computer recording... read a few faqs... have a few questions. Okay now as far as needed gear goes. I know that software (obviously) is needed, decent mics, and an interface is needed as well. Now is the interface the same thing as the sound card (as far as usage goes) because I know both have the same types of inputs... and ive been looking at a Firewire FA 101... external interface, do to the 10 inputs... looks appealing for when micing and recording drums. Anyway any opinions on the Firewire FA 101? ...and my main question... if I get this will I still need a soundcard with all the inputs. thanks.

[ Back to Top ]

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Since: May 10, 2002

Jul 05, 2004 09:09 am

Welcome friend! Not sure about the model number of the firewire unit you listed. But in general your intuition is correct in that a recording sound card can basicly replace your existing sound card. The mega difference is in the quality of the sound, the number of channels you can address, and the number of sample rates / band width settings you can work with. Consider it an upgrade from consumer grade to commercial grade.

Eat Spam before it eats YOU!!!
Since: May 11, 2002

Jul 05, 2004 06:25 pm


"also offers stereo recording & playback at 24-bit/192kHz for performance at DVD-A quality."

sounds fun :)

Since: Jul 04, 2004

Jul 05, 2004 07:40 pm

Walt: alright yea thats what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation!

zek: Alright cool thanks for the link =)

Related Forum Topics:

If you would like to participate in the forum discussions, feel free to register for your free membership.