Simple Question

Posted on

Member Since: Nov 19, 2006

Hello, I'm sure this is question has an obvious answer but I am just getting started here, so any help would be great. Basically, I am going to be recording on my computer, using guitar rig and such, and using drumagog for drum enhancment. However Drumagog requires each drum peice to be on seperate tracks, so I am wondering what it is that records something like 8 mics coming in, and can show that on the computer, but as 8 seperate tracks, not one. Is it just a digital mixer, or an audio interface?

Also, I am using a laptop so I am wondering if that would make a difference, as I cant really install an audio card or whatever.

[ Back to Top ]

Czar of Midi
Since: Apr 04, 2002

Nov 19, 2006 04:16 pm

Yes, an audio interface is what you will need. One with 8 inputs would be required from our description. There are both the mixer type, which some people have good luck with while others don't. And then there are the units like the Firepod from PreSonus and then the better choices would be from MOTU.
And this one which will do both Firewire and USB 2.0

The MOTU stuff seems to have come a bit farther as far as being problematic with connecting via firewire. But it is still recommended to check with the manufacturer to make sure your firewire chip is compatible with whatever system you choose. I have done many MOTU installations and not had a lick of trouble with any of them.

Related Forum Topics:

If you would like to participate in the forum discussions, feel free to register for your free membership.