Pulsing effect?

Posted on

Member Since: Oct 20, 2009

i'm new to this forum and i hope this is the right place to put this..
i've been trying to find the right way to get this pulsing effect,
like the one in the guitars in the first few seconds of this:

i tried just silencing the areas where i wanted it in the beat, but it sounds very very choppy compared to that song and others i've heard.

i'm using adobe audition 3 to record with.
any tips would be great. :]

[ Back to Top ]

Since: Oct 20, 2009

Oct 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Deleted By aaronmouldmusic

Hold 'Em Czar
Since: Dec 30, 2004

Oct 20, 2009 10:42 pm

simple volume automation can do this just fine.....i donno how to do automation in audition, but i know you can.....some brands call this effect a "slicer".

Since: Oct 20, 2009

Oct 20, 2009 10:57 pm

i heard that the right way to do it was with a phaser and then a noise gate, but i couldn't manage to get it to sound that clean.
i was hoping someone knew that method..

Hold 'Em Czar
Since: Dec 30, 2004

Oct 20, 2009 11:03 pm

phaser? nah no phaser will help you on this...the noize gate will work if you can automate it.....tempo syncing will be the hard part

Typo Szar
Since: Jul 04, 2002

Oct 20, 2009 11:13 pm

yeah that sounds like an automated slicer, u could probably manually do it in a DAW if u quantize n stuff

in real life... tremelo? i have the Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter trem pedal and it has a tap tempo so i can sync it up and it can also get really heavy chop effects so it could probably pull this off super easy

but yeah in this song, probably automated

The Czar of BS
Since: Dec 31, 2007

Oct 20, 2009 11:36 pm

Humm. this one has me thinking a little on how to do this.

I think it may already exist, more then likely the "Slicer" that everyone is talking about.

I wounder if you could use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) as a square wave generator. The square waves would turn on and off the wave.

Square wave high, wave passes.
Square wave low, wave is off.

That way you could set the time of the square wave with the BPM.

And yeah crux. It would be similar to a tremolo. But, a tremolo uses cancellation. I think this way you could have better control of the effect.

Just a thought.

I am not a crook's head
Since: Mar 14, 2003

Oct 21, 2009 01:19 am

MDA makes a free one called "Chopper" that will do what you want. I use it on one of the 2 guitars in this rough song in the verses:


It made a slight clicking sound when I used it, so either I had some sort of audio glitch or something like that. But you can sync it to the tempo of the song, which was helpful.. so it'll follow tempo changes and all that.

Hold 'Em Czar
Since: Dec 30, 2004

Oct 21, 2009 04:27 pm

yeah you if you have a noize gate with a "CV" input (control voltage) the square wave idea would work....heck if ya don't feel like automating (which i still recommend) you could manually erase the wave in sections (slices)....

Czar of Midi
Since: Apr 04, 2002

Oct 23, 2009 06:58 pm

If you can use a pluggin use the plug Tadpui stated to use. That is the easiest to use and as he stated its free. It will do exactly what you want. You simply need to make sure and adjust the cut so it's attack and release is smooth. I do this manually for the same effect and simply write in a fade in and out on each piece of the shopped slip. But that is exactly what it is, I can say that with confidence.

It is not a phase shifter coupled with anything.

Related Forum Topics:

If you would like to participate in the forum discussions, feel free to register for your free membership.