anger management/demag power

Posted on
Member Since: Nov 27, 2007

I bought a demag from the states somwhere and just found out it wont plug into my wall socket here.

They told me that they shipped to Australia among other places but failed to tell me that it wouldnt fit here so im exercising anger managment atm.

question is, can i rip the plug off the piece of s*** and put on a 240 volt plug?
Or is it 110 volt only if it came from the States?

[ Back to Top ]

Since: Apr 03, 2002

Oct 30, 2008 05:43 am

you'd need some sort of power adapter, I know here electronic stores carry a US/Europe type adapter for these kinds of things.

Prince CZAR-ming
Since: Apr 08, 2004

Oct 30, 2008 07:06 am

Yeah, US is mostly 115v (110 ~ 120)

We do use 220, but mostly for high-amperage devices, dryers, stove/range, and industrial equipment.

It should state on the device, what power it expects to see coming in, and how many watts it uses.

Some sort of step down transformer would be the way to go.

US 115v:

220v outlets are usually larger, and have some type of angled plugs (some, or all).

The Colonels mum. Yay!
Since: Oct 28, 2008

Oct 30, 2008 07:55 am

You should be able to buy an adapter. Anywhere they cater for tourists. Pharmacies, the airport shops etc.

Since: Nov 27, 2007

Oct 30, 2008 08:44 am

ah yep, i get this, but i will have to find out first what voltage the thing is, an adapter will only let me plug it in.
if the device can only take 110volts...well you know the rest.

i guess im trying to get around buying an actual voltage regulator adapter which will set me back a 100 bucks.

if the thing can take 240 then no hassels, i will just rip that plug of and chuck on a 240 plug.
Cant see it being that easy though.

Pinnipedal Czar (: 3=
Since: Apr 11, 2004

Oct 30, 2008 09:11 am

Just changing the plug will deffinately fry your gear... you'll need a converter for sure .

Ne'er ate 'er
Since: Apr 05, 2006

Oct 30, 2008 09:58 am

First one I looked at was $23 US.

Since: Nov 27, 2007

Oct 30, 2008 06:17 pm

thanks Herb,
23 bucks is good.
this is what s***'s me about Aus.
over your neck of the woods its $23.

over here, they want a 100.
its friggin criminal.

the thing that's annoying also is, i absolutely cannot find a demag anywhere here at all.

so i either buy this voltage converter, or, i dont have a demag.
in the end im up for 150, for a opreational demag!

anyone know about electronics??
Can i not just buy the right copactitor and solder that baby in there somewhere?

Ne'er ate 'er
Since: Apr 05, 2006

Oct 31, 2008 09:24 am

Can i not just buy the right copactitor and solder that baby in there somewhere?

Answer: No. Don't electrocute yerself, dude. Spend the $23.
Since: Nov 27, 2007

Oct 31, 2008 07:14 pm

ah, i luv a good zap in the morning!

its all good, i picked up a step down, quite an expensive one mind you, for 40 bucks 2nd hand.

pretty stoked, it steps up too.

steps up...steps downs...steps up...steps down...

try saying that 10 times really fast.

Eat Spam before it eats YOU!!!
Since: May 11, 2002

Oct 31, 2008 09:26 pm

just so you know Deon... the google results for 'copactitor' only returns this page... you've managed to completely AND UNIQUELY obliterate the word... :)

Ne'er ate 'er
Since: Apr 05, 2006

Oct 31, 2008 10:31 pm

Spelliung nazi.

Prince CZAR-ming
Since: Apr 08, 2004

Nov 01, 2008 12:30 pm

We're No. 1! We're No. 1!

Deon, something neat about a stepdown, you can plug your tube amp into it, and turn down, say around 10 - 15%. This will drop your plate voltage (actually, all voltages) of your tubes. This will bring on more overdrive, and sooner.

EVH did this on his 1987 plexi, for a 'brown sound' that has been bantered around guitar circles for quite a while.

I guess if your stepdown is fixed, you can't do this. I'm thinking of a variable type.

The Czar of BS
Since: Dec 31, 2007

Nov 01, 2008 01:04 pm

Deon, the VariAC that pjk is suggesting is the way to go.

But, it is a lot more then $40 USD. You can get them without the digital read out. Which will make a slight bit cheaper.

For the 10 amp version, they start around $75 - $120 USD.

Just so you know. You have to have a transformer to step down voltage. A capacitor will not reduce voltage.

If anything a capacitor keeps voltage from dropping.

Do any of your friends work with electricity? See if they have a VariAC.
Since: Nov 27, 2007

Nov 01, 2008 10:15 pm

hey Rob, all good mate, i got a step down. man i ran around like a madman trying to get this thing happening, and was somewhat bummed out when i plugged it in and didnt see anything "mag"nificent happen.
it just sat there...lifeless, as a demag does i guess.
i was expecting fireworks at least.

so i demaged the heads and now the desk is sounding sweeet.
i transfered a song from my computer to tape, and am gonna chuck some vox on it soon.
borrowed a compressor of a mate too.
Since: Nov 27, 2007

Nov 01, 2008 10:18 pm

"copactitor" oh, havent you guys ever heard of those?? Ha Ha ha.(blushes)

try saying that 10 times really fast.

Veni, MIDI, Vici
Since: Jul 02, 2008

Nov 01, 2008 10:22 pm

What a lot of trouble just to demagnetize the heads! Wish I had kept at least one of them, I would have gladly donated it to you. :-)

Good to hear that everything is up and running smoothly!
Since: Nov 27, 2007

Nov 01, 2008 11:46 pm

tell me about it. alot of stuffin around, for a 5 second job.
still, gotta be done eh.

Related Forum Topics:

If you would like to participate in the forum discussions, feel free to register for your free membership.