runing cables to another room question

Posted on

Member Since: Aug 12, 2006

I want to set up a control room and have the band in another. I will be installing a 4x8 plexi window to see them. Running cables through the wall? I was wondering about how someone else did it. I was thinking of using a patch bay - mounting it in the wall so I can change connections and also be nice looking and also somewhat air tight. Any suggestions?-adam [email protected]

[ Back to Top ]

Prince CZAR-ming
Since: Apr 08, 2004

Aug 21, 2006 04:33 pm

I ran my cables when the upper joists were exposed. Put a hole through each joist to pass cables through. Turns out I didn't need too, because I dropped the ceiling some anyway.

So if your not closed in (wall and ceiling) then you can do that.

If you're closed in, then you can fish the walls, but that would be a pain in the butt, if you don't have access either above or below. For instance, if you're in the basement, and the walls and ceiling is finished, and the upstairs is finished, then you'd have to open up some spots somewhere.

If I had finished W & C, then I'd make a small hole, and pass the cables through to the live room, like down at the corner, providing there's no power wires in the wall there. Goop both sides with acoustic goop, or silicone, so it won't harden, and you should be good. If you were fancy, you could install cable tracking, to hide the cables in plastic or metal tracks, then have a box on the wall, for plugs.

I'm putting 4 pos faceplates in my control room, that corresponds to 4 pos faceplates in the live room. I've got 2 sets of 4 each, then 2 sets of 2.

Also, I've heard that plexi is way worse than real glass. Plexi is less dense, therefore, passes more sound over to the control room. Also, 4x8 is way huge. My windows are 26x32, and I'm thinking I made those too big as well. Put up two panes, as far away from each other as possible, is the concensus. The angle doesn't help either way, so your choice.

I've got some pix in my blog. I'm further along than that (last room of drywalling) but it'll give you an idea of what I'm doing, and how it's laid out. Plus there's pictures of the cables in the ceiling / walls.


I am not a crook's head
Since: Mar 14, 2003

Aug 21, 2006 05:22 pm

Somebody makes some wall plates that are designed for just this purpose. There's a jack on either side of the wall, finished with a plate kind of like a light switch or a wall outlet. Then you just plug a cable into 1 side, plug a cable in the other side, and you've got signal going through the wall.

Here's a link to an example:

Prince CZAR-ming
Since: Apr 08, 2004

Aug 21, 2006 09:20 pm

yep, them are the kind i'm using, though in the 4 and 2 port version.

'cept they don't have plug-ins on both sides. Just the front / user side.

You still have to solder the backside. There may be 'plug-in both side' types, but those proco WP line are solder types.

I'm not sure if i'd use those plug-in both sides types or not. I'm thinking I might feel better with solder, though i'm a soldering kinda guy. Others not so solder-prone may certainly benefit from the pluggable ones.

Hold 'Em Czar
Since: Dec 30, 2004

Aug 22, 2006 09:20 am

i run a snake into the other room, and stuff the hole with aurlex, or foam, or a blanket....i prefer a snake cuz you can move it around...wal mounts are kinda static.

Since: Apr 03, 2002

Aug 22, 2006 09:21 am

"kinda" static? Hard to be more static :-)
Since: Feb 07, 2005

Aug 22, 2006 10:39 am

Well I didn't get too complicated in my wiring setup (understatment). I just made a hole the size of a regular power outlet box and fed my cables through it. I just kept it small enough so that if I ever wanted to cover it up I could use a standard wallplate.

I would strongly recommend against using plexiglass for the window. Plexi is horrible for static electricity and you will be wiping it all the time. This will lead to a hazey <sp?> window in no time at all. (Plexi is very soft). If it were me I would just head down to the nearest Home Depot and pick up a double glazed sealed unit in a size that works for you.

Czar of Midi
Since: Apr 04, 2002

Aug 22, 2006 08:47 pm

I second not going with Plexi glass as well. It can vibrate and cause buzzing that will both annoy you and be a distraction when mixing. You can eassily find seconds at a place like Home Depot and Lowes that sell for half off or more.

I also agree on looking for dedicated type wall plate units rather then a patch bay. This will give you XLR connections as well for mics and 1/4" if needed.


Related Forum Topics:

If you would like to participate in the forum discussions, feel free to register for your free membership.