Phat vocal plus mixing

Posted on

Member Since: Apr 24, 2005

Yo,i record a vocal track and want to make it fat and nice without recording the vocal twice.I duplicate it,and add phase reverse on one of the track,then group the track and pan then left and right,is the tecnique realistic,or is thier still a low level on cancellation,next question,is it best to mix using vst instrument or convert them to wave,also I have some track record at 16 bit,I wonder if it best to convert them to 32 bit(float)and them import them back into cubase for mixing.

[ Back to Top ]

Lost for words with all to say.
Since: Sep 12, 2003

May 10, 2005 08:54 am

I would double the tracks, one panned some to the left and the other panned some to the right. Try putting a 1 to 5 millisecond delay on the right one to create a nice effect. If you are looking at just a nice loud vocal to come through the mix, I would double track it to make it double. VST instruments are just that, instruments. Mix using plugins in Cubase like EQ, Compressors, etc. If you have 16 bit, you are fine because that is what CD's are. Don't know much about converting them, but it's got to hurt the quality of the track when you convert it.

Hold 'Em Czar
Since: Dec 30, 2004

May 10, 2005 11:08 am

if you copy the same track and reverse the phase, they will COMPLETELY cancel eachother out in MONO, try it, you'll see....very bad idea, unless you want a kareoke version....get your vst instruments to the point where you're not tweaking or automating them anymore, then yes, bounce them to .wav to mix them. as for reconverting bitrates, it's not worth the time, it's still gonna be a 16 bit sound, you can't just 'up' the 'quality' of a the tracks.



Ultra Magnus
Since: Nov 13, 2004

May 10, 2005 11:43 am

Have you tried just compressing? That usually brings the vocal out.

punk rock @$$hole
Since: Feb 29, 2004

May 10, 2005 12:14 pm

buy or rent a nice preamp and mic.

Related Forum Topics:

If you would like to participate in the forum discussions, feel free to register for your free membership.