Posted on Apr 27, 2011 06:15 pm
Member Since: Aug 12, 2008
Ever since recording my first band, I have been dreaming about opening up a commerical space. I normally record vocalists only.
The studio in my house is great - but is limited mainly due to size. Not only that, my time is limited and I dont want strangers in my house so I only record a select few. However, the demand far exceeds the supply at this time. That, along with some other things, has me seriously thinking....
I have 3 friends all that dabble on the side in music, photo and video production. When pulled together all of us have enough equipment and knowledge in these areas, as well as have the networks to be succesful in opening a commercial space - connects in construction, electrical, plumbing, IT, websites, graphic design , musical engineering, photo/video editing, etc.). Plus we all now plenty of artists in need of these services.
We have been kicking around the idea of starting a commericial studio that would offer photo, video and music services but also would provide for band/dance/vocal rehersal space as well. Theres about 20 other things we could use the space for, but I wont get into that now.
We would all offer up our own equipment, furniture, and sweat equity to get it going and then constantly take back our lended items as we replace them with purchased equipment with initial revenues.
We looked at a few warehouses (most of which were unfinished) but came across an old photo and art studio today that is already very nicely built out and has a reception area , bathroom & kitchen, and 5 seperate rooms:
- 1 with a garage entrance roughly 12x28
- 1 which is 12x13 and has an open pass through doorway to the 3rd which is
- roughly 12/13
- Then there is a wide open room 25x28 and a
- small lounge area roughly 10x10.
Ceilings throughout are 24 feet but the two 12x13 rooms have ceilings at 8 feet.
All the build out is completely done - electricity, HVAC, plumbing, lighting, security, etc. - which would save a HUGE amount of start up costs.
My questions to you (in hoping we can utilize a lot of the current build out the way it is, at least to start) are:
- What is the minimum size control room you would guess would be needed?
- What is the minimum size mic room you would want to see for vocalists only?
- What is the minimum size mic room you would need for an average sized band?
- What is the minimin rehersal space you would need for an average sized band?
In case you are willing to aswer even more....
Assuming accoustics were right in each rehearsal room,
- What would you pay to rehearse per hour?
- Would you pay more to rehearse and have it "roughly" recorded (nothing that you would use, but listenable)? Basically somethng where you would press record at the beginning of your session and stop at the end.
- Would you pay more to have your sessions videotaped so you could walk out with a video and audio recording on DVD?
- Would you pay more to have your session streamed so you could host it on your website, ustream, etc,?
Sorry for the 20 questions. While, I dont see this allowing me to quit my normal day job, I do think it could be profitable and after seeing that space today, think it is very possible since some things (photo, video and rehersal space) would pretty much be turn key our would only take a weekend to initially set up. However, properly buidling out the studio and then going back to properly buld out individual rehersal spaces would take about a month and a pretty good investment.
Once fully finished the idea would be that you could be recording 1 project while 2 - 3 projects are either rehersing or taking photos/making a video at the same time. Thats really the only way to make a lot of money the way I see it.
There are others doing this so its not a particularily new idea (although we do have some twists). I could go on for days with details and ideas but really was mostly curious about the space quesitons.
If you have any questions you need answered from me before giving your opinion, feel free to ask.
Thanks for your time.
[ Back to Top ]