Posted on Oct 15, 2010 04:46 pm
Member Since: Dec 04, 2007
So after mulling about, and doing some fairly extensive research, I went ahead and ordered the Carvin AG100D Series III combo unit. Now, I did have some reservations with some reviews on the reliability of the unit. but that seemed to be an issue with older (pre-2001) units. It seems the Series III revision and tweaks afterwords took care of most if not all the problems.
Now I do have an acoustic guitar (which I still need to learn to play, *cough*) so the amp will be nice for that as well.
I wasn't thrilled about the forest green color, but they had options, so I went with the Navy Bronco Cabinet Covering for an extra $18. I have heard very good things about the sound quality, and it seems to be closer to like a mini-PA almost in frequency range, which will be a good thing for my keyboards and other stuff.
It's a 100W amp with a 12" speaker, horn tweeter and rear L-pad. The unit has 3 channels: Acoustic, Bass, and Mic/Keyboard w/ phantom power for condenser mics. Each unit has its own adjustments, and there's also a 5-band EQ. There are built-in effects (reverb, chorus, flanger, etc.), and it seems the newer revision also allows for a different effect on different channels, from what I read at least.
Here's the full spec-list: Just right for me!
- Power amp: 100 watts at 8 ohmsó THD less than .03% @ 90% output
- Freq. Response: 20 - 20 kHz
- Speaker components: heavy duty 300 watt PS12 with horn tweeter and rear L-pad
- Tuned bass reflex enclosure response: 48 Hz to 16 kHz designed for bass guitar
- 3 Channels for acoustic guitar, bass and PA
- Channel 1 for acoustic/electric guitar with Bass, Mid-Sweep, Treble, Effects controls & Acoustic/Electric EQ switch
- Channel 2 for instr. or tape with Bass, Treble & Effects control
- Channel 3 with XLR & 1/4" inputs for Mic & instr. with Bass, Treble & Effects controls
- Phantom power on Channel 3 for use with condenser mics
- Effects Loop (send & receive jacks)
- DUAL Digital Effects Selectors and Parameters
- Master Level control
- Master 5 Band Graphic EQ @ 100, 250, 800, 6k & 12 kHz
- Built-in insert for speaker stand
- Forest Green covering
- 90-260VAC 50-60Hz
- Dimensions: 17" wide x 12" deep x 22" high
- Weight: 35 lbs
- Made in San Diego, California
Truly is a lot of amp for the price. I've read people comparing it to SWR California Blonde and being very similar. Can't wait to break it in! Who knows, maybe I'll start gigging around friends and family, maybe haul it to the webgeeks Wednesday shindigs.
Total cost after the color optional and the shipping: just shy of $500.
[ Back to Top ]