Ibanez UE-300

Posted on

Typo Szar
Member Since: Jul 04, 2002

I recently found one of these in an out of the way thrift type shop. I tried it out and loved the sound! I wonder why these units arent as famous as the digital type multi-processors, since its basically just 3 pedals in one and sounds way better than those can. But i'm wondering if its worth picking up, the one i found is quite beaten up, but if its "vintage" or collectible to any point that would be great. Also, does anyone know if the Tube Screamer on it has the original tube screamer chip, or is it some cheaper version? I read that its the ts-9 and not he 808, but that it still has the 808 chips? Any info on this unit would be great.

[ Back to Top ]

Answer:On a good day, lipstick.
Since: Jun 24, 2004

Jun 25, 2007 10:55 am

These have quite an underground following. I think mine's the UE-450 - it has compression (lovely), Chorus (to die for), Delay (Unbelievable), and a parametric EQ. The pedal is out of commission right now so it's not in operation. These units are wonderful. Very clean. Great sound.
I don't think they qualify for "Vintage" yet...
I believe the chips are the same as their floor pedals. Anyway, the sound is lovely on mine.

Hold 'Em Czar
Since: Dec 30, 2004

Jun 25, 2007 02:36 pm

not to be a stickler for details...but there are no 'chips' in analog boards....resistors, diodes, pots, capacitors ...aka guts hehe....

just wanted to sprinkle that on there.

Prince CZAR-ming
Since: Apr 08, 2004

Jun 25, 2007 03:51 pm

wouldn't a 4 or 2 part op-amp be considered a chip?

and some of the stuff i've seen in fancy stomp boxes I thought would be considered a chip. Like controllers, or such.

I kinda figured that anything packed in silicon was considered a chip. Like transister, opamps, fets, etc.

But they're not a digital device. Those listed still manipulate sine waves.

Hold 'Em Czar
Since: Dec 30, 2004

Jun 25, 2007 03:56 pm

i associate the word "chip" with processor meaning 1's and 0's...like microchip....i donno anything about electronics, hell, i couldn't even tell you what the difference between a two and four part op-amp are (more parts maybe?!!) hehe

what exactly defines a chip anyway? i thought it was short for microchip, which is digital right?

Czar of Midi
Since: Apr 04, 2002

Jun 27, 2007 09:59 pm

Op amps and the like are considered chips. As well the TS-808 did have a controller chip in it that qualified so its all good really.

That said, yes the UE-300 tube screamer is basically the 808 it has 4 JRC4558D chips on it which are the real 808 type chips. It can hold its own against a real 808 as well. You might notice a slight difference but most cant tell the difference. There are some trim pots inside that can be tweaked to make the compressor work better as well as turn the chorus into almost a flanger. As well there is one that tweaks the 808 section as well.

Related Forum Topics:

If you would like to participate in the forum discussions, feel free to register for your free membership.